Monday, June 10, 2013

When One Door Closes, A Windown Opens, Right?

It's the end of an era.  Well, ok, almost 8 years... But an ending none the less.

I have served on the Women's Ministry team (called W.O.W. for Women of Worship) at our church ever since our second son (who is just about to turn 8) was about a month old.  This weekend, I stepped down from serving on the women's ministry team. Writing the letter of resignation was so difficult, for so many reasons.  Even just typing that statement out on here was hard.

For several years now I have served in multiple capacities at our church in addition to volunteering at school (for 2 years), working at another church as their secretary, being a Cub Scout leader, etc.. and as a result, my family and our home has suffered for my being over-extended.  God really convicted me of this some time ago when our younger son wanted me to play with him but I had to tell him no as I was preparing for a women's ministry meeting and finishing up a report for another church board. I realized my priorities were wrong!  But I still questioned, "God, are You telling me to let go?"

Quite some time ago; about a year and a half ago to be specific, I had decided that I was going to call the Pastor to tell him I needed to step down - only for him to beat me to the punchline. He was stepping away to take another job.  I felt like I had to stay at that time, I couldn't let people down.  Well it was determined this weekend that he is coming back, so I felt peace and God's leading that it was time for me to now step down.

Being coordinator of the team has been such a blessing and a true labor of love.  God gave me such a love for all of the women of our church, and all of His daughters in general.  If I have left anything with them, I hope it is a love for God's word and a desire to grow closer to Jesus!!!

I have served with some truly wonderful ladies through the years - Debi, Barbara, Janet, Debbie R., Pam, Pat, Sherri, Jen, Deb H..  Thank you ladies, it's been an honor to minister along side of you!
W.O.W. will always have a special place in my heart!!  We've had such fun and special times!!

I'm reminded of the saying, "When God closed a door, He opens a window", and therefore wonder, if this door is closing, where is the open window?

I am excited to see where the window He will open will lead!  Continued home Bible study? Discipling?  Writing?  Speaking?  Maybe just being quiet and not so busy so I can listen to what He has to say to me...

As I'm typing this, it's suddenly struck me how being the women's ministry coordinator has become such a strong part of my identity.  It grounded me with a sense of purpose.  I had never really thought about that before.  Hmm... I don't have to be (shouldn't any way) part of a team/committee to have a sense of purpose. Maybe this is why the door has been closed...

In any case; I will try not to be sad, but will wait with anticipation to see what's beyond the next open window!

3 comments:

Kerry White said...

Purpose? You are one of the most amazing mothers I have ever known and you are a fabulous wife, friend and sister. If you want to know your purpose, just look at those two incredible boys you are raising. Any woman can give birth. Not any woman can be the mother you are. <3 love you lots

Kerry White said...

Purpose? You are one of the most amazing mothers I have ever known and you are a fabulous wife, friend and sister. If you want to know your purpose, just look at those two incredible boys you are raising. Any woman can give birth. Not any woman can be the mother you are. <3 love you lots

ladyofthehouse said...

Thanks Kerry!!!