Sunday, December 28, 2008

Truly Wonderful!!

Did you get to watch 'It's A Wonderful Life' this year?

I sometimes take for granted what a terrific movie this is! It is, in my opinion, one of the greatest movies ever with one of the greatest performances ever by Jimmy Stewart!!!!!

I know some years back it was played so frequently that the movie became sort of a holiday cliche. Thankfully, they have now cut back on it's airing (I only saw it listed twice).

(Now if only they'd do that for 'A Christmas Story'... enjoyable, but not nearly the same caliber of movie!)

Although I have seen this picture numerous times, this year the beginning touched me as if I had never seen it before.

Do you recall how it first begins?

It opens with the voices of people lifting up prayers of behalf of the beloved George.

"I owe everything to George Baily. Help him, dear Father."

"Dear God, please help Daddy, he's in trouble."
and so forth..

I have to admit, although I've been a Christian for about 16 years now, I don't think I've ever given any thought as to how our prayers must sound to God.

How cool is it to think that as God sits on His throne, He may be hearing dozens of prayers on your behalf!! Of course, at any given moment, I'm sure He's hearing millions of prayers - but He hears each and every one and gives each His utmost attention (He's so amazing, isn't He?!!!)

It gives new meaning to me when people tell me they'll pray for me. But even more so, it makes me realize just how important it is when I tell someone I will pray for them!!!

I think we can often just sort of say off the cuff 'oh, I'll pray for you." Sometimes I believe it's said because it is the thing to say. When you've heard someone has suffered a tragedy (a death in the family, loss of job etc...) it seems to be the automatic response. I don't think anyone means to not be genuine, but I think sometimes our best wishes can fall short.

But when you stop to think of how it must sound to God when dozens of people are lifting the same person up for the same purpose... WOW!!!

God tells us in Jer. 29:12 - 'You will pray to me and I will hear you.' How cool is that promise?!?!!!

I don't know about you, but in my life there have been many a time in my life when it's been dang near impossible to get a man to hear what I have to say!! But the creator of the world, the one whom holds the whole world in His hand, who knows all, sees all, hears everything I have to say!! He doesn't just hear us (you know how we moms can multi task and hear what one kid is asking while making dinner and fixing the other child's action figure that's lost it's head ..), He gives us His full attention!! He's not distracted as we can be.

I love how Beth Moore words it - ' He treats each of us like His favorite child'

Listen to the beginning part of the Jimmy Stewart classic and see how it affects you.

Have you been on the receiving end of lost of prayers? I know I was earlier this year! How amazing now to think of how that must have sounded to God.

If you have had someone pray for you - drink in just how blessed you are to have had someone go to our heavenly father on your behalf!!!

Just amazing!!!....

No comments: