Friday, July 11, 2008

Happy Birthday

My mum loved birthday cake!!
I remember there was a time years ago when she was craving it all the time. One of us would make a run to the bakery to bring her back a little fix. But still, the cravings continued.

Finally, after an evening of continuous 'subtle hints' about how greatly she would love to eat some birthday cake - a friend of the family showed up with a 'birthday party'!!
She brought party hats, noise makers, and of course.. a birthday cake written out to my mother. Actually, I believe it read "Happy Birthday Ace"... that name is another story for another time...
It was no where near her actual birthday mind you.... But do we really have to wait until our birthday for a little indulgence and a reason to celebrate?

As memory serves, this did the trick. I don't recall the cravings persisting much after that time.

Another cake memory involving my mother always tickles John..
It was my 26th birthday. This was a very hard birthday for me, as silly as that sounds. You see, I had just gotten divorced and was feeling horrible (yes, another story for another time).. My mother decided that for my birthday, she'd get me a Brian's cake. Brian's is an amazing bakery in Braintree that makes confections to flip for!!!!
All day, I had thought of this cake... couldn't wait to get home, have a family dinner and dig into this cake!! I finished up work (another story... I think I'll do this as my birthday approaches) drove hurriedly home, ran up the steps, burst into the house with a eager 'hello'!!...
Silence....
No one was home....
But then, I spotted 'the box' on the kitchen table.
White with tucked in sides.... the scent of chocolate and sugar permeating the air....
Dinner?.. I didn't need no stinkin' dinner!! I was ready for that cake...
I opened that box with great expectations, only to find... 1/3 of a cake...
What? Where did the other 2/3's go?
MUM!... She took 2/3's of my birthday cake to BINGO...
2/3's of my present went off to church to energize the ladies while waiting for N32!!!!
Is that too funny, or what?!!

Oh well... Mum, you gave us a lot to laugh about.
Happy Birthday Mum!!!
We'll have some birthday cake for you!
I LOVE YOU & MISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!