Thursday, June 26, 2008

Up Up And Away!!

Launched rockets today with my hubby, two boys and my father-in-law. Had a great time!! Beautiful weather, happy kids, great memories made!

As I sat watching the scene before me - my husband hooked up the rocket, inserted safety key, held down the launch button, heard the faint sizzling sound of the rocket being ignited, watched as the faces of my family turned skyward following the path of the rocket and burst into grins when the rocket broke apart and fell to earth gently with a sway as the parachute caught the air, it occurred to me... This is very much the pattern of my life.

So much of life is preparation, isn't it? Learning skills to be able to proceed to the next event. We learn to walk to then run, to then get places with purpose... Once we're prepared, we then try to ignite our imaginations, passions, ambitions to 'go somewhere'. We take flight. Then, we frequently run out of steam, and hope to fall as gently as the rocket did.
If the scene had ended here, it would be sad indeed - but alas, there is hope!! there is more to the story!
Once everyone stopped clapping or gleefully commenting on how high the rocket had shot that time, the race was on to gather the parts to start over. My oldest son ran after the dismantled rocket and enthusiastically rushed back to his Dad to have it reassembled to be shot off again.
My husband carefully rewound.. um.. the things (hey - I didn't say I was an expert at this rocket thing, I just learned something from it), put it back in the rocket, added a new ignitor and attached it back to the base. There we go - ready for another try!! This happened many times until the sun got too hot and we were ready to go back home for some refreshments.
When we hit a wall, run out of steam, need to change directions or just simply feel like we're in a rut, the good news is - we can pick up the pieces, reassemble and try again, and again... and again. Every day is a new opportunity to gather the pieces that aren't fitting together or are broken apart and make something new.
Maybe, we need to ignite something new - or, try a new ignitor (again, may not be giving the right names to this analogy, but go with me) - The first few launches we did, my husband used an 'A' ignitor. The launches went well! He then switched to a 'B'. The rocket soared higher into the air and moved much father from the initial launch site.
I've been doing well with A. It has been fulfilling in many ways, but lacking the satisfaction of helping my family financially, and not giving me that something I need to make me feel... hmm... I don't know. Like what I'm doing really counts. (not sure I'm explaining myself well).
So it's time for 'B'!
What is B?.. not sure - but think I may be on to something.
Had a thought in my mind, and my dear friend Jen called to encourage me today (you're such a love Jen!!!) and mentioned this B that I hadn't tolled her about... A sign?..
Not sure, but surely an encouragement to keep pressing on to 'B'!!!
So if you too are in the same.. ah, rocket, then rewind - reignite - and up up and away with you!!!!

No comments: