Sunday, June 23, 2013

Entitlement

Against my better judgment, I clicked on a link on the MSN home page.

The headline read, "Florida mom outraged over breastfeeding ban at college".

I don't know why I clicked on it. Really, I don't. But alas, I did.

MSN had a video (which I'd like to include a link to in this post, but they have since taken it off) where the mom talks about how she's been wronged. Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeee!

Here it is in a nutshell:

She showed up at her final exam for a college course with her 10 month old baby in a stroller and expected to be let in. (She said her plan was for the baby to sleep through most of the exam, and then maybe wake up at the end to be fed. We all know how babies follow their mother's plans, right?!) She was turned away by a proctor at the door because babies are not allowed in a final exam.

The mom then claimed the school was violating her rights and sent them a copy of a law that says she has the right to breastfeed in public.

The college wrote her back saying her rights were not violated as their issue wasn't with her breastfeeding, but their policy is that no babies/children are allowed in a proctored final exam.

So then what does this woman say to the interviewer? Oh.. it gets worse...

She said that if there are special accommodations made for people with handicaps and learning-disabilities, even giving them separate rooms, then breast feeding mother should be given the same.

So being a parent is now equivalent to being handicapped or having a disability?!?!?!? Seriously?!!!!

The reporter also said that when she was asked why she didn't leave the baby with someone during her exam she said that the father was at work.

Ok, so the REAL issue here is not about breastfeeding at all! It's that she didn't have a babysitter and therefore, she felt entitled to bring her 10 month old to an exam and all of the other students just had to suck-up the distraction.

I am so irritated by this story!!!! I am sickened by this wave of entitlement that has swept the country!! This is not isolated as I'm sure many of us can attest. I've even heard of mothers changing their baby’s diapers on restaurant tables if they don't have a changing facility, or if it's not to their liking. Seriously? Bring your stroller into the restroom or go to your car. How seriously unhygienic and how disgusting for other patrons! It would be nice if they had a changing station, and certainly you could decide not to go there again because you don't care for their lack of accommodations. But your child is not the world's responsibility!!

I've had two babies. I know how hard, exhausting, inconvenient, stressful and thankless it can be. But you know what? I chose to have my two precious little guys. They are our responsibility and I don't expect the whole world to bend over backwards to make my job easier. The world doesn't owe me.

So to all of the selfish, self-absorbed, entitled parents out there: Get over yourselves!!!!!!!!!!

I will now store my soapbox safely away until my next rant.

 

No comments: