Sunday, November 6, 2011

Christmas giving - Part I

We have lots of people on our Christmas list to buy for.  To be honest, as much as I enjoy giving gifts, the amount of presents we want to give verses the amount of money in the bank stresses me out and steals some joy out of this holiday that's really about celebrating the ultimate gift, Jesus.

For years I have been putting on the ole' thinking cap to get the best deals and searching for creative ways to get the most for our dollar so that we not only have happy gift receivers but also a gift giver that's not stressed to the max.  Over the next few posts I will share some of the observations I've made and some creative gift giving ideas.

Today's tip isn't really much of a secret to anyone, Black Friday.  I've been a Black Friday shopper for years, since before I had children.  Over the years I've learned a few things.

1. You don't have to wait until Thanksgiving to see what great deals there are to be had on the next day.  You can go to BlackFriday.com and sign up to receive notices to your email when each B.F. flyer is scanned and listed on their site.  There are a few up already, such as Kohl's.  They will also list other special sales leading up to the biggest shopping day of the year.

2.  When do you go?  We've all seen the horrible clips on the evening news follow B.F. showing the throngs of bargain shoppers rushing into a store as the doors open like they think their in Madrid running from the bulls.  I remember a few years ago a man actually got trampled to death at a Wal-Mart.  Listen, I don't care how cheap those flat screen tvs are, that's never going to be a good enough reason to act like a lunatic and hurt people.  The first few years I did go as the doors opened (back then it was 5:00 am) but soon learned that people tend to be rude (pushing, shoving, hitting you with their cart, etc..) and that everything doesn't go in those first few minutes.  Sure, if you're looking for the hottest item and the sales flyer says that they'll only have 5 of that item in stock, you'll need to be one of the first in line to get the item.  Ask yourself, 'how bad do your really want it?' before putting yourself out there.  I suggest getting there about 20 minutes to a 1/2 hour after they open.  Other than the extream items (as mentioned above) the other sales items will still be on the shelves and the people who think they've entered the hundred yard dash are now making their way back to their cars.  Sure, it will still be crowded, but your chances for bodily injury will have decreased dramatically.

3.  "They open at midnight, but the really hot item isn't being offered until 5:00 am.. What should I do?"  I faced this last year.  I wanted to get the game system that was on sale for a great price at Wal-Mart at 5:00 am.  They opened at midnight and there were other items I wanted.  I thought I'd arrive at 4:30 and get in line for the DS and then pick up the rest of the stuff I wanted (pj's, DS games, etc...)  So, I waited in line in the automotive department and got the DS, but when I went to get the rest of the items on my shopping list, everything was so picked over and they had even sold out of things.  Going forward I'd suggest either going at midnight and get everything you want and then come back for the 5:00 am items, or get there at 3:00 am and stay till you have everything you want.

4. Ok, this one isn't a tip to save money, it's more like a public service announcement. We all know that those out on B.F. whether it be at mindnight or 5am are sleepy. It's great to go in sweats. Go ahead and throw your hair in a clip. No need to fuss with make up. But please, please, take one minute before heading out the door to brush your teeth. I swear I almost passed out in line last year with the two bffs in front of me discussing their purchases and where to go next. And why did it seem every word they had to say began with an 'h'. Just sayin'....



5.  Have a plan.  Check out the flyers and try to make as few stops as you can.  Each store has special items for sale during a specified window of time.  It's hard to hit Target, Wal-Mart, Toys r' Us, Kohl's, Sears, etc... all before the early bird specials are off the tables.  Figure out where you'll save the most money.  Also, don't forget that Wal-Mart will price match!!  Oh ya baby, bring those sales flyers with you.  No, the shoppers behind you may not love you for holding the line up and extra minute, but tough, they didn't brush their teeth so that's what they get.

Next time.. "Are the sales on Black Friday always the best deal?"

No comments: