Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mums & Daughters

So last night I'm watching tv, excited to actually have a few good shows on (at least to my way of thinking).
First I watched the opening show of the new season of the Biggest Loser.  I sat there thinking, "I wonder how I'd fare during the first workout of the series?"  I remember back to my younger days when I was really into working out.  I saw myself as I watched some of the contestants thinking back to the time I was taking as step class.  Up. Down. Up. Down... run to the bathroom to throw up... run back.. Up. Down. Up. Down. like nothing had happened.  But that was back when I was 20 or 21.  It would be a whole other ball of wax now that I'm only a moderately active 39 year old.  I'd like to think I wouldn't whine a lot though... I'd like to think that.
The show was good but as each episode must do, it ended with the first 'You're not the biggest loser' dismisal of the season.  It was between a mother and a daughter and as typically happens in these scenarios, both wanted to sacrifice themselves to save the other.  In the end the mother was sent home.  When the results were final the parting words of the mom and daughter were heart felt and pulled at my gut.  Why?  It's just a show and I don't know these people.
There is something that upsets me that I don't share often and only a couple of people know these feelings I have for fear of judgement and for fear of 'Pollyanna'esque responses especially from those who do not know what it is to be in my situation.
You see, I lost my much beloved mum two and a half years ago rather quickly (5 1/2 weeks) to cancer.  I miss her every day.  My husband and I have been blessed with two handsome, funny, sweet, smart, wonderful boys whom I adore!!
But you see, I will never again have a mother-daughter relationship.  This breaks my heart.

I originally posted more after this, but really, the last statement above says it all..

No comments: