Monday, January 5, 2009

For Such A Time As This..?



Saturday, January 3rd was our Ladies Christmas Tea at church and proved to be a lovely day!


We started with a few glitches, no heat, frozen seafood and so forth. But God simply used these bumps to prove that He is in complete control and though these things were bothersome to us, He saw to it that the day went off beautifully.


As the ladies entered, they came to the check-in table with the above beautiful flower arrangement, program on display, and a basket of tea holders (so easy to make - but time consuming).

The tables were set with pale pink table clothes, pretty floral napkins and a teapots filled with pink tea roses. (so feminine - gotta have me some girlie time living in a house with males!)


The buffet was filled with finger sandwiches and dainty sweets on doilies.


During set up, it was lots of busy work. Wonderful time chatting with the ladies (some of my good friends from Heart2Heart). Many hands make light work and laughter makes everything more enjoyable!!


But once the busy work was complete and it was time to review the set up in the sanctuary, the nerves set it.


You see, I was the speaker for the event and it was my very first time doing anything of this sort. Sure, I've lead Bible studies and prayer circles - but that's very different from coming up with a whole talk and standing up before about 40 ladies.


I had started over a month ago planning the lesson. God put on my heart so clearly right from the get go exactly what He wanted this tea to be about. We were to learn about the Magi from the east and the gifts that they brought to Jesus at His birth. We originally were going to hold the tea prior to Christmas, but due to scheduling difficulties, we had to do it after. But the topic was to stay the same and on we proceeded.


It amazes me how much God teaches us when we are open and active in our studies! I didn't know where the lesson was going to go, but with each new discovery God enlightened me with, I was more and more excited to read on! I found myself sharing new insights at the dinner table with my husband that had me so excited, but although encouraging and interested, he didn't have the same excitement. I think this is just due to the fact that when I learned these new truths, it was through communion with God. Whereas John was hearing it second hand from me.

Once I had gathered all the verses and information I needed for the talk, I practiced, by myself down stairs talking to the tv (which kindly stood in as the female congregation). Even then, I felt nervous. I was in prayer constantly asking the Lord to prepare me for the event and that I would be a pliable vessel for Him. I prayed for the ladies who were to come and that the Lord would be preparing their hearts for what He had to say.

The preparation was over. There I was after the tea, sitting in the first pew waiting for all of the ladies to take their seats. My friend Debbie started the music that was to play as we all prepared ourselves for God's message. It was a song by Nichole C. Mullen (she's great!) called 'Call on Jesus'. My head was bowed and I was praying something like, "God, please help me not to mess this up. I pray your word would reach these ladies, help me not to get in the way. Please help me remember what You want me to say..." and on it went. My nerves were reaching a fever pitch, when suddenly the music got through to me. I heard the line 'when you call on Jesus all things are possible'. Suddenly, without any thought, my prayers changed to , "Thank you Jesus! I praise you Lord!" I felt a wash come over me, and I relaxed. Normal nervousness remained, but the panic was totally gone!

As I stood behind the podium, I felt God's presence so tangibly. I shared what He had given me. I believe the passion I have for Him and His word came forth - and my earnest prayer is that someone was touched by His message. That they look to strengthen their relationship with Christ. That if they had not yet taken the step to accept Him as savior and give their life to Him, that they would. It's easy to get caught up in church. And for some, that means they can miss the part that church doesn't save, only Jesus Christ can!!

The ladies were all so kind and supportive after the event. This has been the most humbling experience of my life!!! To think that God used me to speak to His daughters!!
I've felt led in Ladies Ministries for years, but it's been a very slow process. I've had many hardships and troubles over the years. Even earlier, I didn't have a smooth childhood - lots of hurts. But as I looked back up at the podium after the event I couldn't help think, all of the experiences I've had to make me grow and mature in my faith, may it not have been for such a time as this?

Lord, thank you for allowing me to serve you!! May my love and passion for you never lag! I praise you for your loving kindness and faithfulness!! I will seek you all of my days!





No comments: