Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"What do people notice about you?"
This is the question asked in the new Miracle Ear commercial.

The responses from the various actors go something like this:

"My devotion to my family."


"My love for animals."


"My smile."


"My zest for life."


"That I'm a good friend and a good listener."


And on it goes.


Great commercial, isn't it? How nice that what each person (although I do realize these are actors paid to give these up beat responses) when asked to give one thing people notice about them, all give very positive answers. What great self-esteem!


What was the first thought that went through my head before I even heard the first answer from the people in the commercial? "That I'm fat."

That was the first thing that came to mind. You know, like when you do word association. "Cat... dog" "Up.... down" "Fall... Fruity Pebbles" (I think a sea of fall foliage looks like a bowl of Fruity Pebbles... you may see a problem developing..)


After sticking with the commercial after my initial reaction, I felt a little ashamed of myself that my first thought was so negative. After all, if these paid, scripted actors can come up with positive answers, why can't I?

Here's the question - can I think of positive things about myself that others may notice? Yes.

The Bible tells us: Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. Philipians 4:8

So in an effort to think of the positive, here are some things I think others may notice about me.

I'm a good mother & wife.

I love God.

I am loyal.

I have a good sense of humor.

I'm a pretty good cook/baker.


Ok, now it's your turn. What do people notice about you? Keep it positive!!

No comments: