Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Wildest Roller Coaster of All

I'm surprised I have not suffered whip lash over these past few weeks.

Steep climb, head tilted back with no head rest to cradle my noggin.
Click click click.. wait for it... whooosh - rushing wind whips through my hair and my eyes blink rapidly from the tearing wind.

Turns making my stomach leap and twists making me feel like my heart is going to bound out of my chest.

This wild ride is simply called, life.

This has been the topic of much discussion in my home lately.
With all of the ups, downs, twists and unexpected turns - what else can we say other than, 'that's life.'

The ups have been great, as the 'ups' in our lives usually are.

The downs have been low indeed.
The downs have left me on my face before the Lord. 'Be merciful to me, oh Lord, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, and my soul and my body with grief.' Psalm 31:9
I am comforted by the knowledge that he hears my cries. 1 John 5:14

The ups have been tremendous blessings. Moments on mountain tops where my eyes behold such beauty and with pure clean air filling up my lungs to sustain me through the inevitable valleys to come. "..but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:30

I continue to muddle through a wintery season of change (yes, I do know that it is still technically summer despite the children's return to school - but the season my life is in currently is defenitely winter). But my greatest comfort is that I do not walk this chilly path alone. Yes, I do have my husband who is my best friend and help mate - but I have the greatest one of all with me also.
There's a song by Natalie Grant called 'Held'. It's an incredibly beautiful song, that strictly speaking, does not apply to me. But I do feel that it comforts people going through all sorts of difficulties and sorrows that need to know that God is always here for us and when things are really tough, God is always here to hold us.

Now, there are things in my life that I can not fix, change or in any way do anything about. But then there are things that are in need of my attention and commitment that I really need to be about. I need to hold fast to one of my favorite verses found in one of my favorite books of the Bible, James. (James is found near the end of the New Testament - I highly recommend reading it if you need some encouragement and direction.)
James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

So now, I'm am going to strap on my seat belt, flip down that metal bar thingy, and brace myself for this continuing thriller - the roller coaster of life!

No comments: