Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Goodbye Summer

Our boys head back to school tomorrow.

I know many parents are relating to the classic ad from Staples set to the tune of, "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year", and have a glazed smile on their faces.  I am however, truly sad.

I think I'm dreading their return to school even more than they are.  This is saying a lot if you knew how much our middle schooler loathes this time of year.

As I sit feeling like I could cry, I mentally peeled away the layers of my sadness to get to the root of my melancholy.  Eureka!  I found it!

I'm sad that this summer is ending because we will never have this summer again.  Sure, another trip around the sun and we'll have another summer season; but we'll never have THIS summer again.

This was the summer of our oldest son having his last birthday before becoming a teenager.
It was the summer of our youngest son having his last birthday in the single digits.
It was the summer both of our boys chose to be baptized as an outward expression of their faith.
It was the summer of multiple birthday sleepovers.
It was the summer of new wheels for the hubs.
It was the summer of both boys being away at camp at the same time and yet having a schedule that was busier than ever!
It was the summer our Webelos Scout earned his first pin (Aquanaut)!
It was the summer our Boy Scout was voted into the Order of the Arrow!
It was the summer of spending time with family in Westport, playing with cousins in the water, digging up shells and kayaking.
It was the summer I learned (with help from our Boy Scout) how to start a fire with flint and steel.
It was the summer our oldest got his braces on.
It was the summer our family went camping, and I actually liked it!
It was the summer of spending lots of time at the pool with Auntie Julie (because she had an operation on her hand) - as well as time with Auntie Judy, and the cousins swimming and splashing.
It was the summer of 2 VBS's.
It was the summer we picked lots of raspberries and made our first jam.
It was the summer our whole family was involved in our church's VBS (and raising money for children in India to get clean drinking water).
It was the summer of our youngest telling me at the bowling alley, "Don't give up Mum. You can do it, believe in yourself. Remember, as Cub Scouts, we 'do our best'. And don't ever forget - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
It was the summer of really great weather, good health, and many blessings!

It was filled with memories we'll cherish, and times that will never be repeated.

Since my lovely mother died over six years ago, I am extremely mindful of how quickly time moves on.  My Mum always used to say, "The older you get, the faster time goes by." She was so right!

I pass these wise words on to our boys.  I encourage them to enjoy where they are at and embrace what is coming.

So with that in mind, I will be thankful for our terrific summer and will now look forward. I will welcome all of the one-of-a-kind, never to be repeated moments that are coming and will make fall 2014 another amazing season to cherish.

Farewell summer 2014!

No comments: