Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sundays Revisited

While growing up, Sundays always meant one thing, the big mid-day dinner.

Regardless of just how strapped for cash mum and dad were we always had a great noon time dinner on Sundays.  By the time the clock hit 11 am great smells would be wafting from the kitchen.  Despite all of the stereotyping of the rotten food from Great Britan, my English born mum was a great cook!!!

My particular favorite was her roast beef with Yorkshire pudding.  Mum made THE BEST gravy ever!!!!  I would drown the succulent meat, boiled potatoes, fresh green beans, corn and the Yorkshire in a brown sea of steaming rich gravy.  I can almost smell it!

Last Sunday I made a mid-day meal of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.  Although it was good and the Yorkshire came out great, it wasn't mum's.  Especially not the gravy!!

Still, it brought back wonderful memories of mum in her kitchen.  Here's a picture of the meal below.

I can never make gravy like you mum, but you did pass on the Yorkshire gene.  I love you!!

Roast Beef, small Roasted Potatoes Brussel Sprouts, Corn, Mashed Potatoes and
Yorkshire Pudding in the middle.

No comments: