Friday, January 1, 2010

And The Word Is...


2010 is here!
I was in bed last night by 8:40 (completely unheard of!) so I was not up to usher it in - but alas, it came anyway as it always does.

I've never been one to get greatly excited over the new year. I don't go out and party. Never loved the whole 'resolution' thing.. Didn't even like watching Dick Clark count down the ball in Times Square. (no offense to Mr. Clark)

Yet even with this, the older I get my views on this time of year have changed. The year seems to wind down in a series of celebrations (halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas) before it ends, welcoming in a 'fresh start'. I believe that is what most people find so attractive - the idea of a 'fresh start'. Let's face it - even as adults there are times when we'd like a 'do-over' - but alas, that can not happen. So what's the next closest thing? How about a new year?

You open your new calendar and all of the squares are blank. What will you choose to fill the boxes in with - and what will be chosen for you? What plans will you make? What surprises do these days hold in store? What trials may come? What great joys shall over flow your cup?

Many things we can not control - but as I've said once and I'll say yet again - our attitude is one thing that we can at least attempt to control.

So - to that end, I have thought and thought, and prayed and thought, and bit my nails (I haven't bit my nails since I was a child), and ate some chocolate, and thought and ate more chocolate and drank cup after cup of tea and finally... I was stuck on 2 words. Which would become my 'theme word of the year'?

drum roll please.......

FIT

As with all of my 'words of the year', this too has many meanings.
Of course your first thought may be "yea, yea, you wanna lose weight like everyone else" - and while there is some truth to that - FIT is representing so much more for me.

When considering this word for me theme - I went to visit my dear friend Mr. Webster to consult with him. Here is what he told me:

1. adapted to an end or design; suitable by nature or by art. acceptable from a particular viewpoint (such as morality)
2. put into a suitable state, to make ready. being in such a state as to be or seem ready to do or suffer something.

3. sound physically and mentally

So now that I was equipped with the exact meanings of my theme word - I am now ready to apply it to my life this 2010.

1. My faith is of tremendous importance to me! I feel however, that I am frequently trying to 'squeeze God in'. This is not 'acceptable'. I need to make God 'FIT' into my life and make my faith life "FIT". Weather it be a whole chapter or section of a study or simply one verse from the Psalms, I know that I must begin each day with God's word. It is the only thing in this world that is unchanging and without error! For all else to go right in my life - I must make my faith FIT.

2. 'To put into a suitable state"??? are you kidding? I could write out a whole list that would take an entire roll of Charmin to record it all! But rather than an exorbitant amount of time detailing all areas this applies to - I'll just write a few key areas: my business, my educational/career goals, finances, the kitchen, my office, etc... I'll take them one task at a time and FIT them into my schedule as to make them a priority in my life - without stressing myself out so much that I become unFIT. :)

3. Lastly - 'physically and mentally FIT'. I have already taken a few steps to begin my journey down this road. On many levels, this will be the hardest application of my theme word. But once again - although I will FIT time in for me, to take better overall care of myself, I will take this one step at a time. Offering praise for each victory and humbling myself to ask for help when I need it.

This will be a journey my friends - an uphill one at that at times.

To help me on my journey, and maybe you as well, I will be starting a new blog entitled
"It's Time" - my journey to a better me".

It will be raw and honest. It will help me to face the reality of situations seeing it in type.

Will I still have this blog? YES! Here is where I will still blog about my everyday happenings and observances about life, faith and what seems to be very frequent in my topics - my boys.

The other blog I will post to a minimum of once a week to track my journey and share what I'm going through - what has worked for me - and what isn't.

Well my friends - Happy New Year to you!

I pray that whatever 'resolutions' - 'goals' - or 'themes' you've set for yourself will be a great success!!

God Bless

No comments: