Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Theme Song

Music has such a powerful effect on me. It can make my day, or ruin it. Seriously!

I remember one day, years ago when we still lived in our townhouse, I was having 'one of those' mornings. You know, brushed my teeth and got toothpaste on my shirt, had to change, my pony tail clip broke, I dropped an egg on the floor.... just seemed like everything was going wrong. I left the house is such a mood to go food shopping on a dreary end of winter morning. I got in the car, pulled out of the lot and turned on the radio. The song that was just coming on was "It's A Great Day To Be Alive" by Travis Tritt (country, yee ha!). I LOVE that song!!! I started to sing along (hey, no one was in the car with me so no ear drums were in jeopardy!) and I kid you not, rays of sunshine started to come through the grey clouds and within moments, I was in a great mood!! Every time I hear that song I think of this story.
Another time, I was in my kitchen preparing dinner, in a perfectly fine mood. Then, a song that I remember from my prom came on. I was instantly transported back to that night.... the night my prom date left with another girl! Don't say it! DON'T.... fine! Loser! (yes, with the hand held up to the forehead and all!). So next thing I know, there I am, slamming pans onto the stove and grumbling at the kids. My prom was ...... well, it was many years ago. How is it that a song could do that to me?
There's a great song by Kenny Chesney (yeee haaa again!) called "I Go Back" that talks about how he hears a song, and he goes back to a certain moment in time. It's so true!!!!
We had a 80's night a few weeks back at one of my Comfy Crops. 'Tainted Love' came on - I LOVE that song because it always 'takes me back' to England 1989. Myself and two of my girlfriends went over after graduation for two weeks. One of the guys we met there was a DJ at a dance club and got us in. We danced to that song on that particular night - and ever since, it's been the theme song to my memories of that fabulous time!!
Theme song... interesting... I guess I have several theme songs to my life depending on the period of time. While I was dating my husband and during our first year of marriage, I would have to say it was our 1st dance song, 'It Had To Be You'. I don't know what it would be right now... maybe some kids song : ) Actually, it probably would be my youngest son's favorite song of the moment, "Don't Worry, Be Happy".
I'm sure that song will be stuck in your head now for the rest of the day. You're welcome ; )
What's your Theme Song of the moment?..

1 comment:

Michelle McGee said...

Yuck... my theme song of the moment is not a good one!