Saturday, September 1, 2007

The 'Naughty Pants'

Beware of naughty pants!!

We have had an especially crazy summer!!, with standing appointments Monday - Thursday for the majority of the summer - plus doctors visits, play dates, etc.. All of this running around has taken it's toll on all of us.
My boys, being 2 and 5, both seem to be at difficult ages as well. The 2 year old is a master at temper tantrums and can reach volumes that threaten to shatter my ear drums! My 5 year old is big on testing. What exactly can he get away with, and how far can he go before his mother needs to be committed. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Any how, on one particularly bad day, both boys were in rare form. The oldest especially as he went from one fresh task to the next; pushing his brother, screaming, throwing a toy down the stairs to now make his brother scream, dumping out the clean laundry I had just brought upstairs and so on.. All within a few minutes.
I finally asked that stupid question that comes from my mouth at times... I don't actually expect my son to give me a deep psychological answer or anything, so I have no idea why I ask...
But out it came any way.., "Why are you being such a naughty boy today?!"
I typically get a shrug of the shoulders or an "I don't know", or since he has learned the art of sweet talking me I occasionally get an "I think you're pretty mummy".....
But not today.
Today, he turned from me and started down the hall to his bedroom.
I called after him "where are you going, I'm not done talking with you"
He pathetically held up one finger and said, 'just a minute'.
This is only adding to my aggravation you must understand.. being told to 'wait a minute' before I can continue my rant...
After a few seconds, he emerged from his bedroom with something in his left hand. As he comes back to me he holds out the item and says, "This".
"This, what?" I ask.
"These pants are what are making me be so naughty... they make me naughty all the time!"

With that, I quickly turned my back to him and bit my lip so hard I thought I would draw blood... I regained my composure and turned back to see his very serious face, and his arm still outstretched with the offending pants.
I took the pants into custody and assured him that I would dispose of the pants and he would no longer be forced to be naughty again.

So if you have an unassuming pair of navy track pants in the house (this pair happened to be a size 18 months that someone gave me for my 2 year old, but they're already too small), and you are noticing very bad behavior from your children... You may be the victim of a sinister breed of pant that have the power to control the behavior of even the strongest willed of children.

You've been warned....